Monday, 3 October 2016

Analysis of a Film Opening: Jurassic World (2015)

Analysis of a Film Opening:
Jurassic World (2015)

I am going to be analyzing different film openings to try and figure out what I would prefer to do for my own film project, as well as the conventions for these genres. For my first one I am going to be analyzing the first minute of Jurassic World (2015).



In the first 7 seconds, the scene shows an extreme close up of an egg (possibly a dinosaur egg) cracking with the distributors Universal Pictures, Amblin Entertainment and Legend Pictures. The extreme close up helps draw attention to it and makes sure that the understands that it is an important part of the narrative as well as this the egg cracking helps make the scene more tense and increases the audiences intrigue in what’s to come as the majority would understand the premise of the previous films of and the plot they tend to follow. The non-diegetic background music in the scene helps set the tone as the music has quite a dramatic feel with it being orchestra, which is conventional of the drama genre and unconventional for an action film. The typography of the distributors is the same that is used through out the film and is a known icon for the series of Jurassic Park/world films; this helps with branding and selling the film.


After this at 0:21 it shows the dinosaur now broken out of the egg and the tittle of ‘Jurassic World’ this shows the audience that dinosaurs ‘breaking’ free or new baby dinosaurs are going to be the main focus of the films narrative.
Then fading to white after showing two of the dinosaurs hatching, this shows to the audience is most likely to be the main plot point of the narrative. This shot also shows the mise-en-scene of the room shows it as being very clinical and white this gives the impression to the audience of it being a laboratory or hospital kind of setting. The use of special effects is also a convention of science fiction and action films; these are usually high budget film by major film companies like Warner bros. and Universal, which can afford these expensive productions.




This action/science fiction genre of film will be hard for me to conventionally follow as these genres usually have a lot of special effects and a large budget, I do not have this being a Media student I could attempt this but it may not turn out as well as I could want as it would take a lot of expertise. But for these reasons I don’t think I will be making my own film an action or science fiction genre.



By Madeleine Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment